Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I am back from Vegas and all in one piece! I left Friday about 6:30, after finishing laundry and making a stab at tidying the homestead. Got in around 10, but then got lost in Henderson for an hour. You would think that after 5 years I could remember how to get there. Saw lots of friends on my way to Whimsy, and they were happy to see me too. Got dressed up in something wenchy and went to work selling clothes. There was some great new designs this year. The drizzle that I drove thru near Baker arrived in Vegas about 3pm, and then it cleared up, and then about 7 or so (right around dark), it started pouring rain, and there was thunder, lightning, and wind. We got the clothes in, threw the tarps up, and closed down. I went home with Deb and Trinidad (who I stayed with last year). We threw our sodden clothes in the laundry and went out for dinner. We stayed up talking for a while and I got some knitting in.

This is sock #1. I am really enjoying this pumpkin yarn (still more orange and less red in person), although I like the way the colors stack in the toes and heels more than the striping in the foot. But the colors aren't pooling in big patches, which tends to bug me, so I am happy. The yarn itself is smooth and soft. I am starting to pick up the short rows, and need to make a decision about the leg pattern (if any) I want to use. I think it might be fun to do the whole leg in 2x2 ribbing and use up all the yarn, and then turn the cuffs down. I was fooling around with the Mermaid socks, tried that, and liked the effect. It also solves the problem of whether or not to increase for the calf and make knee socks.

Friday night and Saturday morning had more of the same - amazing, fearsome, stormy weather. Henderson (south of us) got marble-sized hail. It abated about 10 and we got the word that Faire would open at 12 instead of 10, but was still on. The weather for the rest of the day was quite nice, and the crowds started by late after noon. I worked hard, ate many meat pies, and we bartered Guinness for bloomers with the ale wench. Did quite a lot of flirting and flouncing, but no real takers. I did enjoy viewing all the kilted patrons. Did a little shopping, but I have most of the faire gear I "need". I found an awesome tankard at Moonstruck - it has a deer on it (pictures someday), and a pottery teapot from Lodema the Potter. Saturday night I could barely knit for tiredness (we closed at 10) and slept well.

Sunday was also gorgeous, and finally we saw real crowds. The place was Puh-acked. We finally got the last of the stock out and were busy, busy, busy. For my part, I was busty, being in a better fitting bodice now that I am all skinny. We closed around 5 ish (the hordes of patrons were still shopping with a vengeance, trying to make up for missing Friday night and Saturday morning). We did a little wage-bartering and I was wayyyy overpaid in clothes and $, but still we are all happy with the arrangement and I will be back next year, with bells on! Said goodbye to Todd, Judy, the kids, and the bulge (due at Christmas), and wished them a safe drive home to AZ. I was finally back at the apartment about 8 (got lost again, Deb had to come rescue me).

Left around 10am Monday morning, right on schedule. Took the scenic route down Flamingo to the freeway, missed all the construction traffic (repaving mostly, and in the other direction). Saw the coolest thing - the dry lake outside Primm was filled with water (it actually flooded the freeway on Saturday morning, so I couldn't have left early anyway). It looked really really neat to see this huge lake in the desert. It was clear and sunny in the desert, not a cloud in the sky, until I got to Hesperia and drove straight into a wall of cloud, under which were San Bernardino and Riverside.

Got home around 2, chatted with the neighbors, watered the roses, and took a NAP. Then I was up and off to yoga at 6. Took Julie's beginner class (worked on warrior and sun salutations), Scott's deep stretch class (lots of shoulder stretches), and managed to stay for Laura's Meditation class - the whole 25 minutes!!!!! But then I was beat and it was home to bed for me.

Now I am back at work, and getting so much done, as you can see :) Whimsy will be at the Dickens Festival in the Bay area this year (4 weekends starting Thanksgiving) so I am thinking of driving up for a day there, just to hang out. I haven't ever been to that show.

No comments: