Monday, October 09, 2006


Weekend doings: Well, Saturday was the Angel Fair in Pasadena. Mandy and I took soap and lotion and the spinning wheel. It was... interesting. We were amazed and surprised that the first 2 things that sold were the Menorah soaps, and that we received a special order for several more. Only one Angel shaped soap sold. How odd. Mandy strapped me to the chair to keep the Hare Krishnas from abducting me, but she needn't have worried.

I spun quite a bit of the purple BFL roving (that will be the silver and purple shawl - someday), and fielded many, many questions about spinning. We decided that I need to put out a change jar and only demo when somebody plunks their quarter down - like the fortune telling automaton at Disneyland. We heard a new spinning observation - someone said "oh, what you're doing is just like making ice cream". I was speechless, if you can imagine that. Otherwise, it was a nice day - good weather, good company, good neighbors. Except for the woman undercutting our soap prices right across from us.

Sunday's to-do list included doing my math homework, doing laundry, cleaning up the house, going to yoga and making soap. Here is what really happened:
I knitted the heel, all 4 repeats of the arch lace panels, and began the ribbing. For those keeping score, you may be interested to know that this is sock #2 of the pair - sock #1 has been largely done since last Wednesday (I left the ribbing unfinished and on the needles until I knit this one to the same stage - I want them to be the same height!).
I also listened to Prairie Home Companion, watched 2 specials on Ben Franklin, all 4 episodes of "The 6 wives of Henry the 8th", 2 episodes of "Carnivale", and the first part of "Casanova" on PBS. A good day.
Friday I leave for my annual pilgrimage to the Las Vegas Ren Faire http://www.lvrenfair.com/ where I work for Whimsy (a clothes booth). It's a good time.

No comments: