Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Good and Boring

Another good but not very thrilling if you are a blog reader kind of day yesterday (and today too). Actually, it is just shaping up to be that kind of week.

Used some coupons over at Borders and picked up "Fawlty Towers", a couple bluegrass cds (why are they always in the clearance bin?) and a Jeeves & Wooster audiobook. I think that will keep me entertained no matter where I am for quite a while. I looked at my little pile at the checkout and said - this is my life. A little odd, a little old fashioned, a little intellectual, and that is the way I like it. No reality tv for me! Well, not since "Temptation Island" anyway.

Knitted a few more rows on the shetland shawl. It is called "Legends of the Shetland Seas" but I am going to call mine "That Scottish Shawl" after the play by Shakespeare. The pattern is surprisingly easy, especially considering how much angsting I was doing. I just have to look at it one piece at a time, and the instructions are set up that way. No looking ahead and getting freaked out allowed. It's just knitting. It can't hurt me. The yarn is absolutely fantastic (Alpaca with a Twist "Fino", an alpaca/silk blend) and it is warm and soft and cushy. I hate to put it down. It is the same yarn I made the Adamas shawl out of (somewhere in the archives there is a post called "blockhead" with pictures). I chose the "seaglass" colorway and I think it suits a sea-themed shawl well.

I also put in a few rows on the green Icarus for good measure, and worked on Mandy's sweater today. Everything will get done eventually. I resisted all sock knitting yesterday. I need to find my little hanging scale to divvy up the yarn for the Tuscany socks.

Things are good today. It is cloudy but not drizzly, cold but not windy, pretty calm at work, and the cats got fed. I had some technicolor nightmares last night (including a plane crashing outside the building we were in), complete with sound effects, and didn't sleep very well, but am perky now. I had some Deep Thoughts about relationships and why they work or end and that made me feel some empathy for Mr. Fixit. Specifically, I realized that there are things about my job that I really like and there are things that make me want to run screaming from the room. The stuff I can't stand is outweighing the stuff that is rewarding, and I am going to have to move on. It makes an interesting parallel to why relationships work or don't (I think, anyway). Sometimes you just have to choose, and you have to live with that choice.

No comments: