Monday, January 03, 2011

New Socks and More

Today at lunch I finished the blue - with - a - cable socks (no picture, of course). I am diving straight into the matching blue - with -a - cable wristlets, although I managed to twist the cast on row and had to rip them back. I hope for better progress tomorrow. Two socks used only 2/3 of the yarn, so I should have some very respectable wristlets out of the last 30 gr. I wandered through a drawer of half forgotten remainder sock yarn balls and have the urge to mend the socks and then make more wristlets to match.

There was some lovely rain yesterday and today - thankfully it started well after gardening morning was over. It was nice to knit and watch cooking shows at Ruth's and listen to it pour down outside, though! We have had quite a wet fall and now winter, but I am still charmed by the smell, the sound, the feel of the rain coming down. I also appreciate how it waters the lettuces in the garden. I have been trying to eat a little more responsibly this last couple of weeks; more salad, more healthy snacks, less fast food and more home cooked food. This week's big project is stuffed peppers. I am also cutting out pork and beef & focusing more on poultry, fish and vegetarian alternatives. Watching those cooking shows was entertaining and inspiring!

I am back to reading _20,000 Leagues Under the Sea_ by Jules Verne (tr. by F P Walter) and it is still intriguing. Yesterday we watched a documentary on colossal squid (bigger than the giant ones) and Saturday I saw the Redlands Bowl production of "The Little Mermaid" ballet - so it has been a very aquatic week here. I am still bothered by the fact that the characters is 2oK LUtS wear clothes spun and woven from the filaments of undersea creatures, but there does not seem to be a spinning / weaving mill anywhere on board. Martha said to suspend my disbelief, but it is difficult!

Time to sign off - a cat is using my nylon-clad leg as a scratch post and that is just not as much fun as you would think.

No comments: